jump to navigation

Joomla SEO: Day 15 Results in Google October 23, 2009

Posted by datasheetreference in SEO Notes, Uncategorized.
add a comment

DatasheetReference.com was rebuilt and published in Joomla 15 days ago.   Since then the site has been stable in the eyes of the GoogleBot.

I added a red line showing when the site launched in Joomla.   You can see how it has tracked on Google Page 1 since.

Overall, I think this is great news.   I was worried Joomla would damage the ranking but so far this doesn’t appear to be the case.   The advantage of Joomla is that now I can add new content to the site in minutes – and content is king.

Joomla SEO Experiment: Day 15

Joomla SEO Experiment Results October 19, 2009

Posted by datasheetreference in SEO Notes, Uncategorized.
add a comment

Let’s recap.  We hand-built DatasheetReference.com using a variety of SEO techniques.  It scored well and quickly.  We were particularly interested in the page on the LM317 Datasheet.   Read the earlier blog posts for what we did.   Next we rebuilt the site using Joomla.  Can a Joomla built site rank as well in Google organics as a hand built site?   Joomla is a powerful tool and not too difficult to set up but it also limits your control over details in the site that are the bread and butter of SEO.

We are now 12 days live with the Joomla based site.  Google has crawled it and it has settled.  After bouncing around for a little bit the site now is ranking in virtually the same place as the original.   There are a few very high competition keywords that slipped but these were not scoring page 1 or 2 in either version.

The charts below summarize the effect of the change for Joomla SEO.  Days named ‘Jday’ denote the Joomla site was live.

Joomla SEO Experiment Results (Google Page 1 Details)

Joomla SEO Experiment Results (Google Page 1 Details)

AT89C51 Datasheet Goes Live in Joomla SEO Experiment October 9, 2009

Posted by datasheetreference in Uncategorized.
add a comment

Check out the new AT89C51 part covered in Datasheet Reference.   This is the first section added in the Joomla SEO Experiment environment.

Pretty cool.  It took less than 1 hour to create the section, including getting all the content, menu creation and adjustments.   XML sitemap was automatically updated in the XMAP module.   I manually updated the other sitemap.  Both were resubmitted to google.

Big Change. Joomla SEO now part of experiment. October 6, 2009

Posted by datasheetreference in SEO Notes, Uncategorized.
1 comment so far

It’s day 55 and DatasheetReference has steadily grown.   The keywords have climbed reliably in the ranks and held steady.   The pinging I’m doing to Google Webmaster for new sitemap submissions has not caused any reduced ranks, contrarily it appears to be helping get more pages re-evaluated as I make changes.

Why Joomla?  DatasheetReference.com had one big drawback.  It was hand coded in HTML and CSS.  Gave me lots of flexibility for SEO experiments but also made it time consuming to update.   So I recreated the entire site in Joomla!

There is a bit of learning curve to Joomla.  I created 3 proto sites with Joomla to get the feel of it and figure out which plug-ins I wanted to use.  One tricky bit was figuring out how to control URLs and Metadata.  Getting sitemaps built and all is another world altogether.  But I did it.  Time invested from first visiting joomla.org – about 25 hours.

The net is I can now update the site in less than 5 minutes!  So can you, I created a page submission tool so anyone can contribute content.   I still need to verify they fit into the SEO techniques I’m applying before they post but join in!

I have also created a lite set of documentation of the Joomla specific SEO techniques I’ve applied on the site itself (see the footer).

Now, I’ve been enjoying the steady growth of DatasheetReference organic traffic so this full renovation is causing me some great consternation.  I fully expect Google to flip out and go whacky on me in page rank.   I have no idea how it deals with Joomla but that is the purpose of an experiment.

Boldly into the unknown we go!

Solar Battery Charger Using the LM317 October 1, 2009

Posted by datasheetreference in Uncategorized.
2 comments

I bet you’ve been wondering how to build one of these!  Well, now you can learn how on the LM317 Datasheet section of DatasheetReference.com.

I hate to give it away in this blog but here is a snippit.

In this example we will make a solar charger using a 6 Volt 250ma Solar Panel to charge four 800mah AAA batteries. The batteries can be put into a couple of 2 x AAA battery holders and wired in series (link the positive output from one battery holder to the negative of the other).

This gives us 4 x 1.2 = 4.8 Volts with a capacity of 800mah – therefore we want a charging current of around 80ma. According to the table above, a 15 Ohm resistor gives a fixed current of 83.3 milliamps which will be perfect.